Whoever Said Sunshine Brings Happiness Has Never Danced In The Rain

Whoever Said Sunshine Brings Happiness Has Never Danced In The Rain
WHOEVER SAID THAT SUNSHINE BRINGS HAPPINESS HAS NEVER DANCED IN THE RAIN

Friday, April 21, 2017

Sometimes You Meet Beautiful Brave Souls



Let me tell you a secret, I enjoy a trip to a history or some historic battleship museum about as much as I love going on a shopping trip to Wal-mart on its busiest day with all three of my kids, when I need to restock on EVERYTHING, during a full moon.
I am unquestionably not a history enthusiast.
Now, don’t misunderstand. I don’t mean ALL history. I love art. Take me to an art museum and I’ll love you forever! Take me to any museum that has to do with the arts or MUSIC and we’ll be BFF’s 4/EVER!
My dear husband on the other hand, likes to visit historical sites. And by historic sites I mean old war sites, battleships, cemeteries… you get the picture. My hubby, a.k.a. Baby Daddy loves that kind of stuff. And because it’s in the marriage code- the one that came in the fine print- somewhere in between “to have and hold, sickness and health”, so on and so on, there is “you will periodically accompany, claim to enjoy, and show genuine interest in your significant others extracurricular activities”. For those of you who have been married as long as I have. 22 years this July to be exact, and are smart like me, should undoubtedly have that one down. If not, learn it. Learn it well. It will serve you well. *wink wink*
Ok, moving on.
So here we are, one year into living in sweet ol’ Alabama. The Heart of Dixie! A state brimming with history! From Civil war to Civil Rights Movement. It feels like every place you visit here has some sort of story that goes with it.
The destination that I’m trying to guide you to, is over in Montgomery. At the State Capitol Building. Baby Daddy was in the mood to take the family on a field trip and so through some silent reluctance on my part- (remember the marriage code)-off we went!
It was a Saturday, and to add to my excitement, they informed us they only did guided tours on Saturdays and ours would begin shortly. A few minutes later arrives the main character of my story, our tour guide, Mr. Aroine Irby.  A lively character. And a gentleman.
I’ve visited my fair share of museums and such, thanks to Baby Daddy and his curiosity for the historical, but none, I admit, have ever captured my attention nor my heartstrings, like this visit.
Our docent, Mr. Irby, led us back through history that day as he walked us through the halls and rooms of the old Capitol building. But little did I know that, that day we had met more than just a tour guide on some visit to a museum, and little did he know that he would remind my soul of something important, that I needed, on exactly this day.
Alabama is one of the southern states that has a history full with stories of slavery, segregation, racism, prejudice, violence and people who have fought and even died over the course of what seems like many lifetimes to break this malicious mindset.
That day, before our tour ended, Mr. Irby spoke of a time in history that held a very special meaning for him, to say the least. A movement in history that both its devastation and declaration was heard worldwide. You may have heard of the day they call “Bloody Sunday” March 7, 1965. Aroine Irby still remembers that violent day on the Edmund Pettus Bridge all to vividly because he was there as a young man of about 19 years old. And 2 weeks later from March 21st- 25th, 1965 Mr. Irby would join many others to walk the 54 miles from Selma to Montgomery, cross the same bridge, and reach the steps of the capital building, along with Dr. Martin Luther King and 25,000 people. Mr. Irby was there to witness it all. To say it was difficult, hard, or overwhelming, doesn’t begin to cover it. Mr. Irby shared with us, that to say he was scared is an understatement. He knew that day, on the day “Bloody Sunday” occurred, that there was a possibility he might die. But that he knew in his heart it was something he had and needed to do. He said a prayer and stood with the rest of his brothers and sisters on that violent day. He couldn’t recount much more, it was too hard and he said the details would be far too graphic. He said it’s because of these brave people that stood on both these days, the ones who died so brutally and senselessly, the ones who walked all the way to the steps of the capital, and the ones who stood up despite their fear and spoke out. That gave him the freedom to vote, that gave him the freedom to attend and graduate with a PhD from the University of Alabama, that also gave his two sons the freedom to graduate from law school and fulfill their dreams to become lawyers and that helped give us all the freedom to be standing there that day talking to him.
It was not only a declaration of hope to a people of one race but of all races, of all colors, of all nationalities.
Living in Alabama has taught me a lot in a little over a year. And one of those things, from the perspective of a Hispanic woman, is that we’ve made great strides when it comes to changing our views and removing obstacles where racial prejudice is concerned, HOWEVER, living here has also taught me that we sadly still have a LONG way to go. I’m not a stranger to racial slurs, or racial prejudice. Growing up as a kid I can remember a few times going home crying because some ignorant kid learned some dumb insults from some ignorant parent or older sibling. Or hearing indirect comments from adults or even teachers. Or even as a young adult I can remember a few occasions being confronted and having to defend myself from peoples ignorance. But my father instilled in me to be proud of who I am. To be proud of where I come from and never shy away or wish to be anything different. He taught me to stand up for myself but he also taught me when it's time to walk away and let the ignorant just be ignorant. Because honey, sometimes, you just can’t change stupid. All you can do is pray for them.
Sometimes you meet beautiful people with beautiful stories at exactly the perfect time. I am so happy that we met Aroine Irby. I’m so happy to have heard of his courage and triumphs in spite of his greatest fears. I guess this is one time Baby Daddy got it right!
God Bless America!
   If you're ever in Montgomery, AL. Visit the Capitol on a Saturday and talk to Mr. Aroine Irby!

No comments:

Post a Comment